25 February 2010

cheating

If you've been reading my previous posts, then this may come as no surprise to you. Even so, I'll just come right out with it: I'm a pretty big believer in "doing it myself." If something comes prepackaged, pre-assembled, and ready-to-go, it's just not all that appealing to me. Generally, I can't stand those craft kits that come with "everything you need to get started." I'd rather figure it out myself, thank you very much.

Now, having said all that, I'm incredibly excited about what came in the mail yesterday.



It's my very own "paint it yourself kit" from Goose Grease Undone. You can visit their Etsy shop here. And while these may just look like a couple of peg dolls, by this June, they'll be custom-painted cake toppers at our wedding reception.

I'll admit, I'm a little nervous about this. I've never done much painting, especially of something so tiny. The whole thing gets even more serious when you consider it self-portraiture. What if I get my ears wrong? How will I paint his beard? I seriously thought about having Goose Grease handle the whole thing for me, but in the end, I decided I was up for the challenge.

Funny thing is, I'm not even sure we're having a wedding cake. If we do, it will probably be a small one, maybe just for the two of us. If there's no cake, I guess I'll just balance these little guys on top of a pie or something. And afterwards, we'll have them as keepsakes. Wedding souvenirs to put on the mantel or hang on the Christmas tree.

I kind of like them unpainted. It makes them look more--wholesome.

The best part? Look who came through the shop a few months ago. I knew they'd come in handy someday...










No comments:

Post a Comment