04 February 2011

comfortable



I know.  I said I was going to start sewing.  And, for the record, I did use the sewing machine for several hours last weekend, making strange little sewing machine messes.  I had a relatively good time and was much less intimidated by the machine than I'd thought I'd be.  In the end, though, I didn't have much to show for my efforts.

So I've gone back to my "safe place."  I'm back to knitting.  I haven't quit the sewing, I promise.  I think just need to spend some time working on things that I'm already comfortable with.  Like yarn.

This particular yarn is something I've been hoarding for some time.  It's from a fiber farm in Connecticut--you can view their Etsy shop here--and I got a skein of it as a gift from my dear sister-in-law a few Christmases ago.  It's handspun alpaca and incredibly soft.  The best part about the yarn, though, might be that it came packaged with photographs of the two alpacas that the fiber came from.

I used a little bit of the yarn last summer to make a tiny pair of baby mittens.  Last week, I picked up what was left over and decided that the little bundle would make a sweet little pair of baby socks.

My fallback sock pattern is from an ancient issues of Martha Stewart Living.  Fortunately, for people who don't have mountains of back issues lying around the house, it's also available on-line.  Yes, I know the pattern says it's for Christmas stockings, but if you look closer, there are also instructions for a women's medium sock and a teeny tiny baby sock.  It's a very straight-forward pattern, and if you're a knitter who's never tried socks before, I'd certainly recommend it.

The pretty alpaca I used is more of a sport-weight than a fingering weight, which means that the socks aren't really newborn-sized.  In fact, they're almost toddler-sized.  Now, all I have to do is find someone with a toddler who would like a pair of beautiful, soft, and--ahem--handwash only socks.

With the socks finished, I'm trying to decide what to do with the rest of my weekend.  If you're in the same boat--or just wish you had more time than you knew what to do with--here are some fun things for your weekend:

finally--someone to do all the cake-eating for you
gorgeous vintages textiles via design*sponge

Happy weekend to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment