01 April 2010

what to say






While most of our wedding planning has been humming along happily, there is one department that's really come to what I'd have to call a screeching halt.  I'm embarrassed to say that I still don't have a very concrete idea of what our ceremony is going to look like--or sound like.

I thought the "words" part of this whole thing was going to be so easy.  And in a way, it is.  I say one thing, he says another thing, the officiant says a final thing, and them--bam!--we're hitched.  The thing is, it's hard to know what everyone should actually say.  Should we say Lutheran things, for my family?  Or Baptist things, for his?  Or should we just use civil ceremony language, as though a Justice of the Peace were calling the shots?

Of course, there's a world of ideas out there.  Just Google "wedding ceremony script," if you'd like to have your mind blown by the possibilities.

And then there are the readings.  We thought it would be nice to have a few.  Partially in the spirit of  celebration.  Also because we thought it might be a little rude to have a wedding ceremony that was three minutes long.  Especially for the people who are traveling two thousand miles to join us.

I just can't figure out what to use.  It's starting to seem pretty likely that we'll have a reading from the Bible.  After that, though, I'm kind of at a loss.  Dr. Seuss?  Shakespeare?  Is there a text that really defines us as a couple?  Maybe, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the script from an episode of The Office.  Or maybe, I don't know, The Simpsons.

Of course, just like everything else, this is something that we'll eventually figure out.  In the meantime, though, I'm totally open to ideas.  Unless it's Shakespeare.  Because I love Will, but at a wedding, his words always sound less like brilliance, and more like cliche.  And honestly, I think I'm still scarred from dissecting Sonnet 116 in Mr. Watts' AP English class...




{Okay, and honestly, what I really want to find--and don't you dare laugh--is the perfect reading from The Little House on the Prairie books.  I accidentally started reading These Happy Golden Years the other day, and now I'm just incredibly fascinated by the love stories in Laura Ingalls Wilders' books.  I haven't read them since I was eight or nine, and--who knew?--it turns out that Ma and Pa Ingalls were, like, totally in love.  And Almanzo Wilder?  Absolutely dreamy.  Enough of all this Twilight nonsense, those folks out on the prairie totally had it going on.

A birthday or two ago, my partner-in-crime got me all the LHotP books.  They're all different editions, spanning four or five decades.  My favorite cover is from These Happy Golden Years.  It's the 1956 edition, I think, and it's just beautiful.  Garth Williams was a genius...}



1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog looking for wedding ceremony readings from These happy golden years...

    Re: better than Twilight I would like to say EXACTLY!

    I grew up on LHoTP and looking back, my idea of romance must have been very much based on these relationships.

    Anyway, I hope you found what you were looking for.

    Try apracticalwedding.com for a few posts on secular readings. Some may be right up your alley.

    ReplyDelete