02 August 2010

moody



I had a day off today, which initially sounded very exciting and full of potential, but by ten o' clock or so this morning, it had already become clear that things just weren't going to live up to my expectations.

So I spent the day alternately bickering with my man and moping by myself.  It was all kind of dumb.

In these last few hours, I've been trying to salvage things a little bit.  Usually, this tactic involves food, and tonight has been no exception.

First, I made granola.  Or, to be accurate, am making granola.  It's in the oven right now.  In a few minutes, I'll go stir it and then let it bake for another ten or twelve minutes.  I like making granola, partially because it's the one baking recipe that I have entirely memorized.  I've been making it for years, and at this point, I can just kind of fake my way through with whatever ingredients are around.  It's a good granola.  Maybe I'll pass along the recipe sometime.

I was going to pull a double-header and reuse the mixing bowl for a batch of cookies, but now, due to a local butter shortage--a crisis which seems to be limited to our small household--I'm going to have to put that on the proverbial backburner.

It's too bad.  We had dinner at Delancey last night, and somehow, I let my partner-in-crime talk me out of capping our tasty pizza dinner with a bittersweet chocolate and sea salt cookie.  I've been thinking about that cookie for about twenty-four hours now.  I've even got Molly's recipe all cued up and ready to go.  Maybe tomorrow night, I guess...

I don't know why I've been so excited about food lately.  Maybe it's a nesting thing.  Or maybe I just have a little bit of extra time that didn't seem to exist in our pre-wedding life.  Whatever the reason, I've been drooling over back issues of Bon Appetit and plotting entire menus of things to serve on the fancy dishes we got as wedding gifts.

For tonight, though, I'm just going to have to be satisfied with a batch of granola and some heated up leftovers.  I'm not sure it'll be enough for me.  If it's not enough for you, either, take a peek at this--yet another food blog that's got me making grocery lists on tiny scraps of paper...

No comments:

Post a Comment