03 March 2010

color



According to my partner-in-crime, our wedding isn't going to have "colors."  When we first started making mental lists of "Things Not Worth Bothering With," the concept of wedding colors went on my man's list.  Like, immediately.  At the time, I wasn't too distressed about this.  I've never been big on things that match, and I really wasn't concerned with whether our cocktail napkins would complement the ribbon trim on our little ring pillow.

Of course, as it turns out, we won't be having cocktail napkins or ring pillows for our big day, and I'm absolutely fine with all that.  What is starting to get to me, though, is this whole "colors" thing.  Maybe I've spent too much time on-line browsing through "perfect palettes" and stunning color boards, like the ones on Snippet & Ink.  I don't like the idea that I might be missing out on something awesome.  Or even, gasp, perfect.

Every wedding magazine on the news stand has an article telling you which colors are in, which colors are fresh, and which are "totally you."  On the one hand, I'm a little appalled that someone thinks we need help deciding what we like to look at.  

On the other hand, I'm kind of fascinated by it all.  For instance, Brides.com is hosting a fun little gadget called "Color Studio" put together by The Dessy Group and Pantone.  It's designed to help you choose your ideal wedding color combo.  If you'd like to kill some time, click here.

Or you can just go to the paint section of the hardware store and play around with the paint chip display for awhile.

Please don't tell my man, but I've decided to have secret wedding colors.


Until I change my mind, I'm going with Newborn Blue, Red Wagon, Denver Omelette, and Cottage Garden. (I'll admit, I'm a little on the fence about Newborn Blue.  First, I don't like the name.  It sounds like a potential tragedy.  Second, I'd like something with a little aquamarine to it.  Maybe I'll go with Jaded Janet.  An immensely better name, at least...)

Since I started thinking about those colors, I've been seeing them everywhere.




I could go on rolling my eyes about all of this, but the truth is, there will be some color at our wedding.  The little red bow on our save-the-dates and the gold napkins at our reception and the green grass in my parents' backyard and everything else are all going to add up.  And whether we planned it or not, I think it will all go together perfectly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. ~ I wanted to take a moment to thank Laura Cassidy at Seattle Metropolitan Bride and Groom for posting about the upcoming Salvage Bride workshop on her blog.  You can read the article and see the slideshow of projects-in-progress at Wear What When.  Thanks again, Laura.  It was lovely chatting with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment